Sunday, May 25, 2008
I let the head paint dry for a bit, then I coated the eyes with a heavy layer of black. I used some old pizza boxes with a notch cut in the center to wrap around the eye sockets and keep the black paint off the head.
Unfortunately, it was a rather humid day, so I had to keep the fans blowing on the head all night long to ensure that the paint would dry for the following day. But rest assured, it worked without a hitch.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
...which was not as easy as I hoped.
But eventually I got them off. And then I drew out out some contour lines on the head of how the steel plates would be added. Then I traced those lines with some acetate and a sharpie to make the templates.
Then I grinded off the paint where we'd be welding, and re-drew the lines to act as guides for placing the plates.
Here's the 1/8 inch sheet metal we used for the plates with the shapes traced out on them.
And once they were all cut out, it was time to weld them to the head.
And then each of the next plates were welded in a similar fashion, trying to keep each one as close to the other one as possible.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Sunday, May 18, 2008
click a link to see the full account:
Monday, May 12, 2008
Laying out the pieces, we took a quick inventory.
And here's the site all prepped and ready for digging!
So we had a few problems at this point. It would seem that the concrete base for the flag pole extended a few extra feet in every direction, making digging a bit tricky.
Luckily the city folks arrived in the nick of time and were ready to lend a hand. They trimmed up some of the concrete anchors I had made, so our holes didn't have to go as deep and then we were good to go!
Then we aligned the anchors to the foot holds, and bolted them in place.
And then we just had to tamp down the dirt in each hole and cover up the evidence.
...even more fun.
But we finally got it in place, and locked it down.
Such as painting the tops of the bolts and nuts to blend in with the rest of the ant.
And there she is, in all her glory!